Joey “Coco” Diaz is a Cuban-American stand-up comedian known for his outrageous comedy style and captivating storytelling. With a career spanning over 3 decades, Joey has established himself as one of the business’s most raw and unfiltered comics. Though he struggled with life-threatening drug addiction early on, he managed to turn his life around and find huge success in comedy.
Joey Diaz Net Worth
According to estimates, Joey Diaz’s net worth is around $2 million. He has built wealth through stand-up comedy, podcasts, acting roles, and more. A major source of his income comes from “The Church of What’s Happening Now” – his immensely popular podcast, which gets over 800,000 downloads per episode. He also earns well from his special stand-up shows. Joey lives a comfortable life in Los Angeles with his family.
|$20K Per Show
|$25K Per Episode
People Who Read This Article Also Read: Ryan Garcia Net Worth
Joey Diaz Early Life
Joey Diaz was born in Havana, Cuba, on February 19, 1963. His family moved to North Bergen, New Jersey, when he was just 6 years old. Joey’s childhood was difficult as his father was absent, and his mother struggled with mental health issues.
He got involved with crimes and drugs at a young age, even spending time in prison. However, Joey was able to recognize his love for making people laugh. He began performing stand-up comedy in the late 1980s, doing small comedy clubs initially.
Joey Diaz Sibling
Joey Diaz was born in Havana, Cuba, in 1963 and immigrated with his family to North Bergen, New Jersey, when he was six. His parents raised him as an only child, without any brothers or sisters.
Being an only child shaped Joey’s personality in many ways. He did not have to compete for his parents’ attention and resources, yet he also did not have any siblings to interact with on a daily basis. This may have contributed to his eccentric, outspoken persona that stands out in a crowd.
In interviews, Joey occasionally makes joking references to imaginary siblings or what he pictures having a brother or sister might have been like. But in reality, his family consisted only of him and his parents throughout his childhood.
Joey Diaz Career
Joey’s career began to take off when he moved to Los Angeles in 1994. He started getting minor roles in movies and TV shows like ‘The Longest Yard’, ‘Grudge Match,’ ‘My Name is Earl’ and ‘The Dog Who Saved Easter.’
However, his biggest break came in 2009 when he began appearing frequently on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast. His outrageous stories and unfiltered comedy style quickly made him a fan-favorite guest.
The exposure from Rogan’s podcast allowed Joey to launch his podcast ‘The Church of What’s Happening Now’ successfully in 2012. It soon became one of the most popular comedy podcasts. Through his podcast success and stand-up tours, Joey Diaz’s net worth grew steadily over the years.
Joey Diaz Educational Qualifications
There is no evidence that Joey Diaz earned formal educational qualifications such as a high school diploma or college degree. His education was focused more on real-world experience and learning the entertainment business from the ground up. He started doing stand-up comedy over 30 years ago and has accumulated decades of knowledge from mentors and self-teaching.
Joey Diaz’s Personal Life
In his personal life, Joey has struggled a lot with substance abuse. He was addicted to alcohol, cocaine, and even food at various points. After almost losing his life, Joey has been sober since 2007.
He is married to Terrie Clark, who he credits for helping him achieve sobriety. They live in Los Angeles. Though he has no kids, Joey maintains close relationships with his nieces and nephews.
A health scare in 2018 revealed that Joey had an enlarged heart and a blockage in an artery. Though he recovered fully, focusing more on health and fitness was a wake-up call. These days, Joey appears much fitter and healthier than his earlier self.
|19 February 1963
|Mad Flavor, CoCo
|Stand-Up Comedian, Actor, Podcaster, and Author.
|6′ (1.83 m)
Joey Diaz Girlfriend Turned Wife
Joey met his now wife Terrie in 2007 when he was in a dark place struggling with cocaine addiction. Terrie helped Joey get sober, as she was herself a recovering addict at the time. Overcoming their struggles together formed a strong emotional bond. After dating for 7 years, Joey married Terrie in 2014 in a low-key ceremony in Las Vegas.
Joey credits Terrie for helping him achieve sobriety and letting his creative talents prosper. Terrie manages the business side of Joey’s ventures, freeing him up to focus on comedy. Even with his brash on-stage persona, Joey is a caring family man and loyal husband off-stage.
Joey Diaz Height, Weight & Appearance
Joey Diaz is approximately 5’11” (180 cm) tall and has a stocky, heavyset frame. His weight tends to fluctuate, but he is likely in the range of 250-300 lbs (110-135 kg). He has a shaved head and often sports designer sunglasses and casual clothing. His Cuban heritage shows in his olive complexion and features.
Joey Diaz Shows
Some shows featuring Joey Diaz:
- “The Longest Yard” (Comedy Film) – Playing an ex-convict friend of Adam Sandler’s character.
- “Grudge Match” (Comedy Film) – Appearing alongside Robert De Niro and Sylvester Stallone.
- Joe Rogan Experience (Podcast) – Frequent guest with multiple controversial and hilarious episodes.
- This Is Not Happening (Comedy Central Show) – Storytelling show where Joey spoke about his prison experiences.
- Stan Against Evil (TV Series) – Played the role of a priest to perform an exorcism.
- To Tell The Truth (Game Show) – Joey was one of the celebrity guests trying to fool the panel about his identity
Joey Diaz will be seen in the third Bill & Ted movie alongside Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter, reprising his role from the 1991 original.
Unknown Facts About Joey Diaz
Here are some lesser-known facts about Joey “Coco” Diaz:
- Joey was estranged from his father as a child and only connected with him in his 30s, right before his father passed away from cancer.
- He used comedy as an escape from his challenging childhood. Joey and his friends would skip school to watch stand-up shows at comedy clubs.
- Before finding success in stand-up, Joey worked many odd jobs as a cook, construction worker, bartender, and even a pimp!
- At 17, he stabbed a man from a rival street gang during a brawl. He was charged with aggravated assault and sent to prison.
- During his early stand-up days, Joey would smuggle drugs into comedy clubs to sell to customers to supplement his income.
- He got the nickname “Coco” from his grandmother as a child. She used to call him “Coco Loco,” meaning “crazy boy”.
- Joey is a huge MMA and boxing fan. He is good friends with many UFC fighters and personalities.
- He struggled with weight issues most of his adult life. At his heaviest, Joey weighed 300 pounds before deciding to get gastric bypass surgery.
- An avid car enthusiast, Joey’s favorite car is his custom 1972 Chevy El Camino, which has his logo and pictures painted on.
- Joey doesn’t shy away from his troubled past. He uses his early life experiences to craft edgy yet entertaining stories for his stand-up acts.
Joey Diaz has led an extraordinary life despite the many ups and downs. His gritty life story and fearless comedy make him a one-of-a-kind entertainer. At 60 years old today, the comedy veteran shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Joey Diaz’s Wife?
Joey Diaz is married to Terrie Lynn Clark. The two met at a 12-step program meeting in 2007 when Joey was struggling with sobriety. Terrie helped Joey become sober. After dating for 7 years, they tied the knot in 2014 in a private ceremony in Las Vegas.
2. What is Joey Diaz Net Worth?
According to reports, Joey Diaz’s net worth is an estimated $2 million. He has amassed his wealth mainly through stand-up comedy, podcasting, small acting roles and appearances. His hit podcast “The Church of What’s Happening Now” generates a significant portion of his income.
3. What is Joey Diaz age?
Joey Diaz was born on February 19, 1963. He is currently 60 years old. Even at 60, Joey maintains a busy schedule – touring for stand-up shows, recording podcasts, and appearing on radio, podcasts, and more.
4. Who is Joey Diaz daughter?
Joey Diaz does not have a biological daughter. While he has been married to his wife, Terrie, for over 10 years, they have never had children. However, Joey maintains close bonds with his nieces and refers to them endearingly as his “daughters.”
5. Who is Joey Diaz mom?
Not much is publicly known about Joey Diaz’s mother. According to some accounts, she struggled with mental health issues when Joey was young. With an absent father and unstable mother, Joey had a difficult upbringing, even spending time in foster homes. These early experiences shaped his gritty, no-holds-barred comedy style.
6. Where is Joey Diaz stand-up next show?
Joey is currently on his “The Degenerates Stand Up Tour.” His upcoming shows are at Danbury, Connecticut, on March 30, 2023. He also has a show scheduled at the Foxwoods Resort Casino in Connecticut on June 9, 2023, during his East Coast Comedy Tour.
7. Who is Joey Diaz sister?
Joey Diaz has not publicly spoken about having a sister. From the limited information on his childhood, no verified reports confirm Joey had a sister growing up or as an adult. Joey himself has never referenced having a sister in interviews or comedy bits.